I like exercising. Because I like food, mostly. I also like the feeling I have when I’m done. Reminds me of an old joke: A man sees his friend hitting himself on the head with a hammer. “Why are you hitting yourself with a hammer,” he asks. His friend replies, “ Because it feels so good when I stop.” Not a really funny joke, and I don’t remember the last time that I heard it — Probably very long ago…
Running and cycling are my favorites. They allow for inward and outward explorations of different locations both inward and outward. Sometimes, I will get lost in my thoughts – not enough to ignore traffic – but enough to make time fly by. Exercise can be an escape, a way to burn off some negative energy (and calories), focus on things that really matter, and be a stress reliever.
I started this list with the quote in the picture. I claim to have made it up, but maybe someone said it before me. If it matters, I wrote it in 2019 (that’s my way of copyrighting…). The rest followed soon after. So to begin:
“I do my best writing when I am running or hurting. Often, that is the same time…”
Which led to:
- Going downhill is easy, the challenge is getting back to the top.
- One foot in front of the other is the way to move forward.
- No pain, no gain is unfortunately true.
- The wind is rarely at your back, so take advantage of it when it is.
- Quitting is a sure way to fail.
- Personal bests are more rewarding than victory over others.
- Sometimes you just need to take a break.
- Take the hard road as often as you can, save the easy one for when you really need it.
- Sometimes you can go it alone, other times, you need help.
- Goals are like chin-ups. Spread out, anyone can do 10.
- Sometimes, all you need is a smile and encouragement to get you to the finish line.
- You may come in last, but there are more people that never even tried.
Are there more? Probably. I have many more miles to go before my life journey ends, and I intend to make the most of them.
Leon Stevens is a blogger, composer, artist, and an author of three books (so far): Lines by Leon: Poems, Prose, and Pictures, Journeys: Eight Original Pieces for Classical Guitar and The Knot at the End of the Rope and Other Short Stories.